Monday, May 03, 2010

Sadness, Joy and Quirkiness

I survived the full moon with minor patient issues, but Friday evening as I waited for a bus out of the downtown a runner with a swag bag (pre race goodie bag with your race shirt etc) ran past me.  It hit me like the wall, it was marathon weekend.  It was the first race I had planned to run this year and it was the first I had to cancel.  It hurt.  I blinked back tears.  Then I waited another 20 minutes waiting for a bus trying to shove that feeling of the bliss of crossing the finish line to the fringes of my mind.  Sunday was just as hard as I saw many with their medals.  I wanted to congratulate all of them and at the same time try to get that feeling again.  It is an addiction, it's an accomplishment that feels worthy of the effort.  After years of school being the measure of my work ethic and success there is something so primal for lack of a better word about the nature of running.

I did have the joy this weekend of seeing the pictures of a dear friend, who I've actually never met in person, get married.  MB and I met on a dating site for people of our ethnic/religious background and we instantly bonded over literature - retro science fiction to be exact.  We wrote long, long emails for a few months and then our lives changed slowly, the emails slowed.  But we have in fits and spurts done the same long long writing and then stopped.  He is someone I am so truly happy for, that he has found someone who seems to have made him blossom.  It's interesting, I think you get to this point in life where while it's not easy to see people get married and by society's standards "grow up" on the other hand you get the immense joy of seeing that they did find that one person for them.

FB a few weeks ago suggested that I add DB's mother to my friends.  So I did.  And she reciprocated.  I joked to Ms. J that step 1 is complete.  Well now for step 2... kutzpah is not my friend, but seeing as I have recently made peace with gin and tequila, I feel like what the hell.  I am going to make an attempt to plan an event where DB would show... well maybe when the playoff are over. What is said event?  Well a hint, it is a game we play to the death around these parts - or more so to the ocean dumping... or see the photo...

Photo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.