Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Spell Addiction

B-O-O-K-S or P-O-W-E-L-L'-S

I had a friend ask me about my 16 books from Powell's if I NEEDED them... I need them like Lindsay Lohan needs an enabler, no, but it's going to happen without much resistance

So let's review so I can justify the purchases - actually the ridiculously cheap aspect is what I will use to justify the purchase - 16 books for $120 approx


 L-R

The Color Purple - Alice Walker

Non-Violence The History of a Dangerous Idea - Mark Kurlansky

Break Blow Burn - Camile Paglia (Poetry Anthology/Resource/Essay guide)

Howard's End - EM Forster

Intruder in the Dust - Faulkner

Gluten Free Girl - of http://www.glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/

Diary of a Bad Year - J M Coetzee

Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger - I will note oddly enough that this book is one written in the 70's and two was recommend in a magazine Ms. J was buying - I found the recommendation - bought the book...

An Illustrated Man - Ray Bradbury - this was purchased despite my hatred for the cover art because I one heart RB and I had to read it after Criminal Minds devoted a show to it

Power Politics - Arundhati Roy is my kick me in the ass writer - she constantly reminds me I have a story - and I have a life I need to do something with - like kick other's in their brain's ass and get them going... I know that sounds weird, even weirder I will say fiction is not her strongest point, even she will admit that her fiction writing comes from a place of force and construction and her non-fiction comes from a place of need - of bursting forth in necessity.

The Translator - Leila Aboulela - I have a huge hole in my literary heart of fiction written from the perspective of an immigrant in Britain - oddly in this list I would call this the "fun" read

The Metamorphosis ... - Kafka  - Why? Because I'm tired of being in class and having someone say they love Kafka and I know nothing of it

Zora Neale Hurston - Dust Tracks on a Road - she is so much more complex and fabulous than Oprah made her book  Their Eyes Were Watching God to be

Les Miserables - V. Hugo

Mice and Men - Steinback

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

2 comments:

  1. I think I could've saved you a few bucks on your purchases...there's a website with e-books for free.
    Project Gutenberg - maybe you're familiar with it?

    http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page?sess=aab76e0db8f55a8e0fe45dfa5868d36d

    Anyways, if you don't mind reading from a screen (you're a blogger so you should be fine), then this should come in handy to you.

    A good deal of the classic novels are here. They're still working on copyright issues for 20th century writers, but give it a shot and peruse their catalog. You just might like it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion - I try and stay away from the computer as much as I can, I know it sure doesn't look like that. I take my books with me on the bus/T and mark them all to hell. I also like being able to say I remember that quote, let me grab that book etc... I have used that though as an option to look for specific old texts.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.