Monday, May 17, 2010

Sigh

I figure I should be happy - I have avoided my school reunion, but I'm not.  I feel like I need to be there to represent for all the educated single peeps out there - funny thing is I think I'm like one of maybe 5 of those in my class and the others are doctors.  You can get away with being single and a doctor because you've spent hundreds of thousand on your education, you have a title and you do very little sleeping amongst other amazing skills.  Now me - debt (check), title (no check), very little sleeping - opposite check - I do lots and lots of sleeping - everywhere I can - but that is not the point.  The point is I do not have multiple spawn, I do not have arm candy and I do not have a whole lot else either.  Does this mean I'm somehow less of person - NO, BUT to my classmates it means something is wrong with me - like for these ultra conservative folk - I go for the other team, I have leprosy, or something along those lines... you think I jest, oh I don't... so while I should be happy to avoid the where is your ____ (husband, house, title, child) - it just makes me sad that we are so stuck on those things when there are so many more things that define our lives.

4 comments:

  1. "...there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
    I'm sure you know this already, and I don't think you'd let others' opinions define who you really are. I thought the same of myself when I saw others were moving on to the next step of their lives. I know I would've gone clinically crazy/depressed if I kept thinking/comparing myself to them. We move with life and we can choose to bemoan or celebrate it for what it's worth, because it is our own.
    Sleep well my darling. I hope you'll see things better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still sticking to the not going for other reasons too but I completely agree with not letting others define you - but there are times where I just find that I guess I tire from that road. Oh well. I slept I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going either. I will be at Geowoodstock at that time, but that isn't really the reason I am not going. It's mainly because I really and truly don't give a flying you know what about what 95% of the people in our Grad class are doing. The other 5% I already know about and don't feel the need to drop $60+ bucks to go chat with a bunch of people that I didn't particularly like to begin with. Facebook and the like has made reunions pointless anyways, you get daily updates about what people are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well said - at least I can cross you off as one reason to attend.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.