Saturday, May 15, 2010

Stuck

Anne Lamott says that all writing begins with a shitty first draft.  I can see the story, I just can't some how articulate it.  So I am hoping that blogging out my outline, my character ideas.

I want there to be the structure of our Disney ideas of the world - our simplistic views of people and their motives.  The wicked witch/step mother maybe wasn't all the evil - maybe she was mentally ill - paranoid, schizophrenic - maybe she had a victim complex, maybe all of these things or none of them.  The princesses aren't perfect either - Belle broke into the Beast's home, Snow White may have run a bitchy ship, who knows and so on and so forth.  I don't want to over simplify things, I want it to be a critique of my life - of the events that happen in a life with abuse, a life of a woman in a culture that sees nothing wrong in the messages it spews out to women and men.  For example the man who made a comment about me after I pleasantly said hi out on my run this morning.  Yes, I wear a running skirt, it's not so you get a good shot at my ass, it's because it's 20 some odd degrees outside.  So while I would say you can kiss my ass, you might just take me up on that, so how about this eat my dust, and while you are it, trip on a curb and break your nose and a few teeth too for good measure.

Start - intro to the concept of our fairytale infiltrated culture
Story - the process likely starting from the end of my engagement - and tracking forward and back
End - the purpose - a no prisoners/no saviors view of events - I want to make sure that no one is saved, even the female character who's life will in part mirror mine.

Funny I still don't feel any further along

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.