Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Parents

I have briefly mentioned that my father is the only member of my immediate family I have contact with for reasons in many ways too complicated to explain. However in regards to my mother - I have ceased contact in part for the very reason HSBFF would love to and maybe some of you. Mothers bless their hearts have strong opinions, especially in regards to their daughters and their daughters futures. Though HSBFF is married with a kidlet her mother is attempting to make her presence known.

Some of us, like HSBFF and myself have been raised with honor you parents, but when did the honoring mean altering your adult life course to minimize conflict. I did it for many years while in university doing whatever needed to be done to keep my mom quiet. In the end I realized the best option for both of us was for me to sever the ties - she no longer could nag, and I had the freedom to do whatever I wanted and she had to live with it. The odd thing is I know what she would be saying right now:

1.Graduate school is crazy, you know what happened when you wrote the MCAT - I'm not going to comfort you when this fails too.

2. Moving? See you know you're always trying to run away, you never deal with your problems. To which she would add you're trying to make sure my grandchildren never see me, you know how hard that was on your Oma. For the record you moved ran away from home and stayed away...

3. Why are you running marathons, you know you had those foot problems and you look the same (ie. why haven't you lost weight). To which I have tried to explain - no nagging injuries and I run for sanity.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry about the mother parental unit. Yes, we are supposed to honor our mothers (and fathers), but it also says in the bible that Fathers (and Mothers, I would expect as well) should not exasperate their children (Ephesians 6:4), so you're also covered.
    Someday, hopefully she'll understand and things between you two get patched up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've be saliently absent from here these days because i can't read the text with the b+w image directly behind it :(

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.