Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Rings...

A new male entered our work place this week – alarms went off, a code lipstick was issued and in general chaos ensued. In a building of 96% females and 50% of those are single, fresh meat does not go unnoticed, especially when they have an Aussie accent...

But before we go putting him in the memory shoes of my Mr. Big and in doing so replacing that memory with a better option, and one that isn’t 15 years my senior either, I need to convey some terrible news.

He has an extra toe.

Actually he’s married.

No wedding ring.

He’s married, but does not wear a wedding ring. This is one of my pet peeves. As a single woman living in a city where it is more common to be in a common law relationship, it’s already hard to figure out who’s free to look at and who’s not. Further still I don’t understand the no ring concept. If you have allergies there are a variety of options, if it’s cost, there are even more options – the cheapest custom rings on Etsy are below $100 or slightly more expensive.

Now I am comfortable with being labelled a traditionalist – I support marriage, and I have no intention of being shacked up before I am married. Note I don’t care which humans get married to each other, if you are willing to commit for life to the person go for it. I feel that if you man or woman choose to not wear a ring when you are married you are saying two things, one I’m not proud that I am married, and two I am free to be treated as a single person, you can flirt with me, you can look at me and you can try and woo me or whatever you want to etc.

So am I alone in this? Would you wear a ring and why or why not?

And I leave you with this is gem, the truth of Beyonce...



3 comments:

  1. I agree 100% I don't understand the no ring thing, it's one ring on one finger that lets us know that you are off limits!
    N

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of an old debate I once heard on the bus in NYC. 2 High school girls were sitting behind me and one was complaining about how her Boyfriend wouldn't put a relationship status on his facebook page.
    But yes. I agree with you. Wearing the ring is a sign of relationship status and responsibility. It shouldn't be taken lightly and it is a great public service to singles all over the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facebook I could care less about - I removed my "status" from it a long time ago. The ring is a great public service to everyone :)

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.