Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Please Somebody Diagnose Me

Every time I get sick, and I mean like sick sick it is always the same way. It follows this course of events.

1. Malaise/Tired - when am I not these days
Day 1
2. Sudden onset of productive cough
3. Followed shortly with raw through, not swollen glands sore throat, like holy hell you can't pay me to cough sore throat.
4. Sore throat up to the back of my sinus cavity sore, and ear ache with each cough - not ear infection ear ache.
5. Laryngitis
By Day 2-3
6. No voice, no energy, fever
7. Sinuses are fully involved

We are at Day 4 after having my ass in bed all weekend drinking lots of cough medicine and liquids, and reading through the entire Twilight saga again... and getting worse.

Long and short in a period of 3 days I go from marathoner to sounding like emphysema patient and feeling like someone took sandpaper to the entire inside of my upper respiratory tract.

So that there folks will be my blogging for a while, I'm taking sick leave. Yay me

4 comments:

  1. sounds more like sinusitis. It can also be strep pharyngitis, cold, or perhaps flu (although you don't feel achy all over do you?).

    When was the last time you met up with your primary care physician or ENT doc? Any sputum? What color? How high is the fever? Any lymph node swelling? Any whitish spots in the back of your throat? Were you around sick people? etc etc...

    If the cold, you'll just have to ride it out, perhaps some meds to help with the fever and laryngitis. If sinusitis or strep, depending on how bad it is, you may need oral antibiotics.
    Regardless, a visit to your doc might prove helpful.

    Please take my poor differentials with a grain of salt and if you're not feeling any better, I suggest you see your physician.

    In the meantime, rest, sleep, and here's an e-chicken soup to help you feel less crummy. It's ok. There's no meat in it so it's vegan friendly =).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I spent an hour waiting today to see my GP/beloved ex-boss. He as always gets a chuckle out of me - honestly I am one of the worst patients he could have - I store up everything and then give him a detailed list...

    Anyways - his vote is I have my standard once every two years knock me out cold. It's not H1N1 - besides mandatory vaccination - I don't have the aches. He gave me Beclomethasone for my lovely sinuses and the rest I ride out with lots of fluids, rest and thank goodness a day off work - sometimes showing up and whispering through a day of work actually is worth while, you garner pity. And pity is something I will take. My roommate is just going to have to put up with the sound of me coughing.

    On a side note I got a lovely probing by an ENT in the fall regarding another issue - apparently everything is all hunky dory up in there.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like steroids to help the inflammation down =). Hope that does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all about the medicine - at the moment I have one clear nasal passage, and that will be enough to let me sleep in theory.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.