Saturday, June 12, 2010

Quick Summary

So in an attempt to steer myself away from the blog-o-sphere, this will be in point form

1.  Officially gave up on An Orange Tree in Baghdad - really interesting, great book until the last 100 pages.  I have dragged myself through the last 3 chapters and called it quits.  The book fails to carry the theme of loss and heritage, poetic in some way that the book stalls on the current war - which is what the author points out as the main problem in Baghdad - it's stalled in the violence around it, it will implode rather than moving forward.

2.  I have also stopped with Catch 22.  I for one would like to know how it's an aclaimed novel and why the hell it's on so many graduate school reading lists.  So you get past the complete absurdity of the story, the cavalier approach to war and destruction that bravado/machismo attitudes can cause on a country you have invaded, you can't get past the dryness and the lethargy to which the text moves.  I have given this novel 3 months of my life and I only have 100 pages to show for it.  Yes that is how unbelievably painful it is.

3. The Bell Jar is lovely - oddly I thought it would be dry and depressing - I mean when you have authors that are prone to suicide - like Ms. Woolfe you get brilliance it seems, but also this tone of sadness/melancholy.   In one day 70 pages in, it will likely be done by the end of the weekend - that is my kind of novel.

4.  On an unrelated note I have been thinking about my love for country-ish music, maybe because I think it's the only genre that still produces music that in "polite" terms say "NLLL-you, cheating, evil Heart breaker etc"  It's like salve and a kiss in the ass for any single girl needing that - so on that note:





PS Love the line, "starting to see everything you lack" Um hell ya, bring on someone new please... NEXT!

3 comments:

  1. Wow how many books do you have on the go right now my dear?

    ANNNND did you hear the good news? I got the job I auditioned for!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, things work out they way they are meant to, hope process is going to help you flow with the process of life a little easier.

    I normally have 2-3 books on the go at one time, picked up that habit while doing my first degree, having 4 classes, 4 months and 25 plus books and associated articles means practically you are going in 4 different directions - reading 4 books at one time.

    Right now I am almost finished the Bell Jar - so I'll be likely moving on Trolius and Cressida and The Color Purpose or Power Politics

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze woman you like to keep busy don't you! Are these for class or just cause?

    And yes. Better now that there is momentum and I'm not just standing still..waiting...

    Changed up my blog a bit so that people from home can keep tabs. Hopefully you keep up w. it as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.