Wednesday, June 16, 2010

*Head Shake*

I have spent the day with no computer and no desire to read Trolius and Cressida which I need to make peace and love with for next Tuesday.  I confess I want feed my soul great literature and yes I know somewhere in these slowly reducing stacks of un-read books that I own such literature.  But I feel like we need a comic break around these parts and so, I will take you to one of the moments of my life where I feel like life is richest when view from a theatrical perspective.  (I will attempt to get this as close to reality - seriously, it's better that way anyways)

Scene: I and CW walking from the Sbucks in one of the local research buildings (aka Dr Young Man Candy Headquarters)

[Walk past construction site on narrow sidewalk]

CW: Why don't you date a construction worker?

S&P:  My dad made a comment about me marrying a plumber because they make good money.  But I want more than that, I don't want someone who's going to come home crack a beer, scratch his ass and think that is what life is, I'd rather be poor than be without art.

CW: I can see that

[turn corner]

S&P:  I don't do manly-men, I am not a manly-man girl

[cue from somewhere behind young apparently single (no ring) geek-chic man in suit to pass from behind - S&P and CW look at each other, LONG deliberate pause]

S&P:  No that doesn't work for me either [trying not to bend over laughing]

CW: Ya didn't think so...

I don't know where he came from or why he had to pass me at that moment, but I thought it was hilarious that I would blurt out loud enough for definitely him to hear that manly men don't do it for me.

So there you have it folks, publicly witnessed by more than I am sure wanted to, my declaration that while I would like whoever it is to have more construction prowess than me I am not looking for the next Mike Holmes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I think you just pigeon-holed construction workers. I don't think Will Hunting would appreciate that ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe but I will say that I have had a life time of exposure to all the trade - my father despite his education, supervises construction sites currently and has done residential when I was a child.

    Basically while I haven't met them all, I've yet to meet one that was different than the stereotype.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.