Sunday, June 13, 2010

Goals

Sometimes I wonder if my goals are completely crazy. Like applying for graduate school - I mean I know someone will take me, but well I don't want to just go anywhere... nor is that the right mindset.

But that isn't the point, is the dreaming about the future more important than the achieving of said goals?

I love running - I want to qualify for Boston someday. I know that in theory that is an achievable goal. If I stay healthy and keep training I know that a 4:30 race is feasible for the fall and if I want to run a BQ time before I'm 35, I need to run a 3:40 max which I will acknowledge is a hell of a lot faster than I go these days. But it's not unrealistic, build up the base and then speed up the base miles, repeat and repeat.

Now the issue is while I would love to run a BQ I am so stupidly fascinated with the IronMan which is if you are checking a "marathon distance" in each discipline. Which I acknowledge is something that I don't think I could even consider doing until later in my life when I had a job that was flexible to support 2 hours minimum of daily training.

But I guess the question is as I said before is the dreaming enough of an accomplishment? I know that in asking that out loud I'm trying to quell the doubt about this paper and all that - on that note off to do some reading.

2 comments:

  1. Ironman? Impressive goal. When you get there, look for me. I'll be the one with the really annoying airhorn, losing my voice and rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironman is a long long way down the road, like in my 40's when I fear I'm dead to the world and I need to challenge myself or something like that.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.