Monday, March 08, 2010

I Will Survive!


Work that is... and the rest too but darn it, I want my bed. Before I drift off at the kitchen table, I've move my laptop out of the bedroom - trying to reinstate healthy sleep habits... anyways before we get lost on the topic of bed, bedrooms and sleep and all the other non-sleep activities - the point to the title is/was/will be this:

D who works downstairs in our building asked about men in my life - which I choked at - for one I've been some shade of green/yellow/mucous this entire winter and two I know that while sure a man might be lovely, they are a hell of a lot of work. That sounds bad, but let me rephrase that - I work 8-4 at best, more often it's like 7:40-5 something 5 days a week - standard true, but add 1 hour on each side of that for a commute, and well let me just show you...

6am Alarm
6:04 - Shower (I know not a morning snooze button person)
6:40 - Finished with all the morning preparations
6:50 - Leave house for bus stop
7:40 - Arrive at work (if I'm lucky and caught the early bus and the T w/out waiting)
Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho yadda yadda
4pm (let's call it a GOOD day or a sick day)
5-5:30 arrive home - depending on buses and the T
5:30-6 Start dinner, change to go running
6-7-8 - Depending on length of run etc...
Shower, change - and call it 8pm
8pm Dinner, dishes, email etc
8:30-9:15 ish GRE study
9:30 or earlier bed

I don't see room for a man in there... I used to spend hours at AB's house - which was fine when it was summer, I wasn't really training, I had no school to worry about or an exam. But well life has changed. Sure I read during my commute or nap etc. but well in the end school has become my focus. Maybe in the process I find someone, maybe wherever I end up Sept 2011 I find someone, or maybe I don't, right now it's not the goal. I know that's hard for my parental unit to hear and for my girlfriends too, but in the end remember it's not like the blinders are on.

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/photocapy/17281343/

I have to say I've had many stacks like this one over my years of studying - there's a similar stack of novels to read that right now is kind of scaring me to be honest.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I know the feeling.

    This is why I am happy that mine works abroad. I can schedule emails and skype in between work, the gym, the rink, fighting w. dinner and my naps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! That song was on the speaker during Gyn surgery this afternoon! Quite appropriate.

    That's an impressive stack you got there. Normally I'd pity your state at the moment, but seeing as how we are in similar positions, I'll just give you a wry grin and proceed to my own stack of reading material. And cry profusely over the pages.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.