Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The 50's are approaching...

I hate time travel, it messes with your sleep schedule more than regular travel. I have a 50's party to attend on Saturday, really because OM and a swag load of other potentials are there... now big problem. One I'm poor - I'm not going to buy a 50's a la Grease dress for over 100 on the vintage sites because I'm apparently a large busted, large waisted gal compared to those Olivia Newton John types. So what then - curse my curves or go all Marilyn/Audrey/Dita (our semi modern 40/50's interpreter). So the dress above in black is what I have to work with - it's closer to my knees and more curvy looking. So then, I'm not wearing pumps primarily because I would rather not, I'm wearing a Orsay heel - black - not quite 50's then again I don't what isn't 50's when it comes to shoes.

Hair and makeup will follow in this vein:


The dress will be accompanied with pearl stud earrings, and possibly a pearl necklace. I have yet to decide if I'm going to add a ribbon belt and accent it with a broach instead or something like that. I would like to as I Freudian slipped this week to AR (Aussie Roommate) be like a naughty housewife. I've roughly got Marilyn's body but not her swagger or wardrobe... I'm worried I'm in the end way out sexing the entire party and not looking iconically like anyone... HELP

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn was a size 14 dress-waist with DD cups. I think you will be just fine. focus on the simple, but slightly exaggerated lines - wasp waist (which if you've got Junk plus "the girls" you'll be fine), the ballet neck is fine... pretty much only Audrey Hepburn was Audrey Hepburn in that age. (And I think that was the 60's anyway.) be june cleaver with a sexy edge. I have a sweater just like the top of that dress, only with a pretty bow at the neckline, right out of stockard channing's wardrobe. you could do that with a pair of clamdigger pants and ballet flats and whammo!

    See this pic of Rizzo in Grease for some hair inspiration. Stick in a wide black ribbon, give your hair some curl/wave, and that's that. (and if you feel out of place, you can say you're channeling stockard channing from Grease - then they'll be all, OOOooooo she knows what she's talking about! http://www.fresnobeehive.com/1143268948_rquizrizzo-thumb-250x273.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grease footage made me think more of Rizzo - let's say I'm a grown up interpretation of Rizzo with hopefully just a little more in the personal restraint category

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.