Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Planning for the Future

No there is no bun in the oven (that I'm aware of though it has been the joke of late) or any thing that would warrant a rushed plan for the future. But I have been thinking about it. In the past I've been one to have specific plans, strong rules, guidelines, strong just about everything. And now I'm aware that there has been a dramatic change of heart over the last little while. So the idea of planning for the future, while I would like the future to come has well sort of been put on it's head.

I used to believe that I would find that person who was compatible - note I did not say "someone who completes me" or the one or any of that - someone with whom I could see myself living in a loving, respectful partnership with is the goal, key on all those parts. Anyways I would find that person, we'd date (because that used to seem so easy), he would think I was amazing (and yes of course vice versa) and he'd scoop me up off the market and we'd be married in time frame ranging from 1 yr to 2 years in total. I still sort of wish for that, though it seems that the first part of that equation might take an eternity...

I also used to hope for a few years to get used to living with said person - and then the babies. The thing is I'm aware I'm not young, nor is my body and waiting is waiting for more issues later on. I would like to say I'm not feeling any concern, that I know I have time, and I do. I am not on the hunt for all that - but it is there somewhere in the nagging back of my mind, thrown to the front every so often when I open a Women's Health and they happen to have an article on how I can prepare my uterus for the future occupant, regardless of the immediacy of that... hmm, didn't want to think about that, thanks.

The future is gray, I wish it wasn't but it is and that just is well the way I guess it's going to be...

Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/erin_ryan/2479288574/

2 comments:

  1. no kidding. big report from march of dimes came out yesterday, showing that the rate of prematurity is on the rise all over the world, in the developed world it is blamed on older moms, women waiting longer to have babies.

    It's always phrased as if women choose this, but I wonder how many women really do? I think it's far more likely that our society still hasn't figured out how to get together in a "post-dating" world. I realize how time is going by, but I am absolutely not willing to undertake such an incredible journey without someone by my side. To my mind, having kids is a job for two. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the frustrating part - we know that the earlier you have children as an adult (not I'm not voting for teen pregnancy) the better it can be for mom and baby, and yet we are also equally aware that going it alone, is by no means the ideal situation. Of course if I hit closer to my target, I might be inclined to adopt, and know that I am signing on for a challenge.

    I agree we haven't found out how to get things right in the post dating, cohabitation world - we've lost sight that this is so the wrong way to do things - statistically it's not working on just about every front - divorce, satisfaction with life, birth rates and health as you've noted, and so on...

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.