Monday, October 26, 2009

Since When?


Ms. J came over for dinner on Saturday - though she really came for the communal alcohol and ice cream consumption and I invited her lest I spend the night pining for someone who I should be actively forgetting.

We talked Twilight - it always comes up - this disease is sad and funny, given that we're both old enough to know it's all crazy, we're also single enough to yell at the book on our Friday nights. I've developed a bad habit of reading it when I'm bored... so the point to all this. Since when did these ideas become so central to our female consciousness that they get recycled generationally. Fated lovers... Romeo and Juliet through to Bella and Edward. Somewhere we have ingested the belief that with a snap of Fate's fingers the magnets become magnetic and there is an inalienable connection like those plush bears Hallmark sells every season.

Fate might just do that, I don't argue that, but I do argue the success of such a moment... so on that note little Twihards and every generation before and after you, please pull yourselves together and for my sake, for the sake of every single woman over 25, whether sane or not, please pack away this notion. Or I might just do something rational though questionable the next time I see an EHarmony add professing such an outlandish notion. Fate is not your friend, fate is that girl in high school you thought you wanted to be friends with until you went to university and got a life, and she became a "dancer" the next town over... you know what I mean.

2 comments:

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.