Monday, April 19, 2010

A Taste of School

I started writing again - I have been seriously mulling over the idea of applying for half MFA Writing programs and half BA to PhD programs. So I'm not really going to be posting in the same way I have been - trying to channel the juices elsewhere.

I was cleaning out my inbox (I'm an email purger - I have a very small inbox) and I found a reading list I had emailed to myself. Let's look at my progress shall we?  Most are just names because I have offered myself the grace of finding whatever I can find and reading it for the author in question.


Achebe, C Things Fall Apart
Angelou, Mya - Why the Caged Bird Sings
Baldwin, James - Giovanni's Room, Go Tell it on the Mountain
Bellow, S
Brande, Dionne no language is neutral
Burgess, Anthony - A Clockwork Orange - HARD book
Byatt, A S Possession  - this was a give up - the novel is horrible, especially since I've seen the movie already
Coetzee, Waiting for the Barbarians
De Foe, Daniel
Dickenson, Emily
DuBois
Elliot, TS The Waste Land
Emerson, Ralph Waldo
Faulkner
Fitzgerald, F Scott The Great Gatsby was actually really good
Foster, EM Howard's End
Frost, Robert
Ginsberg, Alan - I LOVE Howl, but I guess I should check out the rest
Halker, Marilyn
Hall, Radclyffe Well of Loniness
Hawthorne, N Scarlet Letter
Heller, Joseph Catch 22
Hughes, Langston
Huxley, A A Brave New World
Kogawa, Joy - Obasan
Mansfield, Katherine
Marlowe, Christopher
Melville, Herman - Moby Dick
Plath, Sylvia - Bell Jar
Plato - Ulysses
Poe, Edgar Allan
Shelly, Mary Frankenstein
Shiguro, Kazuo Remains of the Day
Stein, Gertude
Walker, Alice - The Colour Purple
Washington, Booker T
Whitman, Walt
Whittier, James
Wright, Richard
Yeats

Sad isn't it - just a fraction what I need to read and I've only read a fraction of it...

3 comments:

  1. So in an attempt to update my blog I lost all my comments *heart breaks and I changed my blog address and name to my actual initial.


    So...go to auditioningforlife.blogspot.com
    instead of anxietysobriety.

    YAY for updating?! I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll switch chores with you. You read up on Pediatrics and I'll read ALL the books in your list. I think I started reading more than half of these books but never really finished them. ADD. What can you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for updating!!

    toitb - I would switch with you for this rotation. I feel that way about most of the books on that list - I've started them but haven't finished them - some are just brutal like A Clockwork Orange.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.