Tuesday, August 17, 2010

NSFW - I guess someone shares my love of R.Bradbury

First this is NSFW, but then really is this blog for the most part, shouldn't you be working at work, unlike me... anyways I love Ray Bradbury. But not quite like this, however I should note I'm reading the Illustrated Man and I believe that Fahrenheit 451 is possibly one of the best books written in its continuing relevance and reverence of print culture. While we are on the topic of NSFW apparently some of my favorite books are on the banned book list in the US (I heart Google), to which I say one WTF, why are we banning books? And since when did Wide Sargasso Sea and Love in the Time of Cholera rank worse for ethical content, than the works of Chaucer and Shakespeare - who I will note are not banned. Let's see rape, dead children, war, divorce, remarriage and cannibalism all come to mind at the moment, never mind cross-dressing and homo-social relationships. No those are all okay, because what child can read and understand these works or they are "classics”? Vanity Fair is a classic and Becky is a spoil, demon of an adulterous woman but hell whatever. Goodness if anyone thinks a 12 year old is going to pick up Rhys or Marquez and understand it well they should be rewarded, hell give them Lady Chatterley's Lover while they are at it because it was so damn boring and the sex scenes so ludicrous that I wanted to poke my eyes out, so if they finish it I promise they'll never want to read again. Anyways to more humorous content.

4 comments:

  1. Forget being a doctor. I'm going to be a Sci-Fi Author!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More then anything, I was just surprised by the production value that video had...someone put some actual cash into making that.

    Oh, and NSFW doesn't apply in the same way where I work...at least not in my experience it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Therrian, I agree about the NSFW - for me it and yet here I am commenting on this post. As to the books being banned - libraries (school and public)can have books challenged and removed from circulation if there is enough of an uproar. It makes me sad because I think all it does is perpetuate fear and misconceptions. We label books like Shakespeare as "classic" therefor untouchable, and yet books by Morrison, Ellison, Angelou and other African American writers are stripped from shelves. They aren't the only ones but it is evident that African American literature is not welcome on the shelves. Xenophobia appears to be a large factor in the process. As time goes on I really feel like I am either going to become a teacher or homeschool - this mindset is starting to really scare me

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.