Monday, August 02, 2010

Perfect Storms...

I wonder if our lives are a series of perfect storms, they aren't always fierce tempests, some are quiet perpetual snow storms, piling up banks of soft pillows of whiteness on the edges of our lives. I feel like for the last few years my life has been marked by moist hurricanes and harsh blizzards and dry dust storms.  In the eye, the moment of calm in all the storms I have found myself pushed closer to my purpose (yes referencing LOST).  I think we all have a purpose.  We might spend our entire lives slowly living that purpose and not even knowing it, or we might have a crystal clear vision of it.  For me?  I think I have an awareness of the edges of my purpose.  I see faint outlines of its intended form.  I know I'm not ready for it. However, there are moments where it seems I peek a corner at its true form.  The older I get the more I realize how we've lost the written word. I watched an amazing interview on Arts&Minds on Saturday, and I realized that yes I do think that writing/teaching is in my future.  I don't know the how's and why's and all those.  But at the heart of it all for me is teaching the beauty in books.  Not of them, though they do look magnificent on shelves.  But the beauty in their hearts.  Yes, books are little soul capsules, each reader donates a part of theirs and picks up pieces from the collective of readers before.

Just think about the first book that captured your attention, that glued you a chair, set you off into the unknown... where would you be today without that?

Check out these: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/susanorlean/2010/07/books-that-change-kids-worlds.html

2 comments:

  1. Well, my first book was "apples up on top" by Dr. Seuss. Does that explain my love for orchards/fruit and/or balancing them on my head?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I needed that cheeky comment. Honestly I can't remember my first book - I do remember the Little House on the Prairie books, I remember a lot of good children's fiction, like "The Giver" - it's on the New Yorker list.

    But I have to say that it was YA novels that sealed my placement on the couch with a book over my nose. I wonder what my mother though of my permanent placement. It is funny I have clear memories of a lot of the books I read at that time, I was as I am a voracious reader - Earthseed started me on my love of Sci-Fiction and I could go on and on.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.