Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fashion Advice

I am looking for a little advice from you wonderful people.  I have X's graduation and a wedding this summer along with other events.  I have learned in my few years of adulthood that there is always a need for a good (solid) dress.  What I mean by that is not a cocktail dress (though they are extremely important) and not a cotton summer dress/winter sheath, but that thing in between.  I was thinking I had found it and now I'm not sure - behold:


It wouldn't be this colour or this length - but the point is a convertible dress. I was looking at a short deep navy colour.  It goes for about  $80 on Etsy.  For the longest time I thought it was brilliant and now with things being a little crunched I'm not sure if in the end I'm better off buying something from H&M for half the price and either not using the other half or putting it towards other summer gear.

Let me know what you think.  I will also say I'm a little apprehensive as Etsy has burned me in the last little while correction Customs has burned me by holding packages for 3-4 weeks longer than projected on everything I've purchased from Etsy.  I do not want to invest in something so crucial not to have it come or even worse look right. 

3 comments:

  1. ahh... the convertible dress. I purchased myself one of these off of ebay last summer. And while it's great to take on vaca (one dress + many styles = less baggage), it does have some major downfalls. No matter how you wrap it, you end up showing major upper half skin (sides, back, etc.) While it says one size fits all, if you're like me and small in the waist, you'll find that the fabric slips around. You'll start fully covered and end up with patches of skin, or undergarments showing without even noticing. I found myself continously reaching back to make sure the fabric was covering what it was supposed to, which leads to some pretty awkward poses. If you're looking for something fun to put on after a day at the beach, it's great. For more formal functions, I'd be heading to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, that was what I was worried about - I have really looked around to see what my "tieing" options would be it and it seems that if you want to cover up you end up cocooning yourself in the fabric which in almost 100 degree heat is going to be lethal and well the backless options just end up being a fiasco since I must wear a bra.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On that note - anyone seen anything cute?

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.