Friday, March 25, 2011

Avert Your Eyes if You Are Sensitive

I had an IUD put in this week.  JS wanted an update on the whole process, so I will do that.  I will say that I chose to get one because while I might be OCD in many other places of my life, my ability to remember a simple little pill, especially not when that little pill made me certifiably cray-cray.  So I had the options of do nothing, which really isn't an option, get Depo-Provera injections or an IUD. 

So I wanted Depo - it seemed simple, a shot every 3 months.  Yes it had it's risks of bone loss and extended infertility post stopping.  I could handle those, I couldn't handle the apparently 30-50lbs weight gain that came with the shot.  I was flabbergasted when I was told that by my GP.  Given my propensity for weight gain I knew I would be looking at the 50lbs end of things.  Good Lord - no thank-you.  So I opted for the IUD.  Now there are two options - there is the "cheap" option of the non-hormone copper IUD.  This option just disrupts implantation in the cervix.  Because there is no hormone it does not relax the uterine wall (reducing cramping) and it also does not decrease lining creation.  The scarier thing is it does prevent ectopic pregnancy. 

So I opted for the Escalade priced option.  Now yes it is expensive but after a year it works out to be cheaper than the pill and it lasts for 5 years - if I need it in there that long. The hormone is localized, so there is no systemic issues related to the pill or Depo.  It reduces cramps and periods and some women have their periods stop altogether.  So now to the hard part - implantation.  I will say I had a wonderful gyne - he was incredibly thoughtful, gentle and funny.  If you want to know who it is, I am happy to pass on his name.

So I will say, since no one warns you - one the box is HUGE, so don't be shocked when you pick it up from the pharmacy - it's all applicator, two take at least 2 NSAIDS (Advil, Ibuprofen) and 1 Tylenol and three do it after your period has just finished.  Lastly if you have had children this process apparently is even easier.  I did not follow any of these instructions - and I was prepped by Dr Nice Gyne that I would likely faint, as the body, rightfully so, is not so jazzed about getting opened like that and having the whole deal go down.

The speculum is fine - whatever if you've had a pap you know what that feels like - getting your cervix opened - both openings, yes apparently it has two openings, now that is what will make your knees sweat and the room turn a shade of foggy gray.  But then it's over.  It's really intense pain for 2 minutes max and then it's done.  You go home pop more pills, eat some ice cream and relax.  Yes there is some spotting for a few days, but since it's also the end of my cycle and I spot for the first 3-5 days before I cannot tell you if it's all from the IUD.

Scared you?  Horrified?  Sorry I'll be back to fluffy stories shortly.  Ask me any questions if you have them

5 comments:

  1. 2MINS!!!! & FAINTING!!!!??? Thats just too friggin long! Thanks for sharing! I'm so glad you did.

    What made you choose the hormonal one over the non? Answering optional.

    Yes would love to know the name of the doctor. (here or by email) I have one, but he's my age and hot. Hot!!!! That shouldn't happen, no hot gyno guy should be poking my girlie bits, I might enjoy it. ;-) haahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 minutes for the whole procedure - the whole painful part probably was less. The fainting is a result of your body's natural reaction - which though not fun, they completely expect and warn you of. To be honest I am glad my body does that.

    I picked the hormone version because there is less cramping, less rejection, and the possibilty of less periods. The no etopic pregancy is good thing too - the gyne told me about that in the office. I also have metal sensitivities, so given what copper earings do to my ears, I wouldn't want that going on down south.

    In the end I think I would still recommend the whole procedure - only time will tell how it all pans out.

    I'll email you his name

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg I did not think of metal sensitivies.
    Ew, couldn't imagine what it could do.. ew.
    Got the name thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if you ever use it for birth control it prevents implatnation of fertilized eggs (which it seems like you know from what you wrote) ....so depending on where "life begins" for you.... CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is not our first line of protection, X is still using a condom, this is to ensure that in all cases we are not having an issue with fertilization. I believe life begins at implantation, and I don't see an issue in preventing that process.

    I understand that there are issues with this for everyone. For myself, birth control was going to become necessary at some point - Yaz made me crazy and Depo was going to put me at risk for osteoporosis and obesity. I picked the option that would work for me.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.