Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh the Memories


I have been sifting through old blogs for old music loves and in the process finding some pretty good lines - maybe it's narcissistic, but as an aspiring writer I find that I need to remind myself in the dry times that I have not so dry moments - and drum roll here are some of what I believe are my somewhat finer moments.

"Heartbreak = good old fashion heart ripped from its sockets and you being left with a hole to be soaked and preserved with tequila, brined with tears and stuffed full of Black Cherry ice cream. If you are too young to have one, it's glamorous, if you've put enough miles on your heart it somehow makes you feel like a veteran comparing battle wounds."

"I don't carry anything other than an over-sized designer handbag, especially not luggage, as I informed the nice young man at the local sports co-op"  TOITB - this migh explain why I check everything when I fly

"start hearing the annoying loud ticking of their future coming from goodness knows where. Like my barista boy did today, it attacks you from behind, makes you feel slightly violated, but then you are forced to face it, attempt to wrinkle your preventatively Botoxed brow at it, and then deal with its ugly truth, like a sweat stain in a satin dress in August there is no avoiding it, your uterus has started to call the shots. So you do as any good single girl does and you develop a habit of abusing your liver, spend long hours with a therapist trying to figure out why the hell your here (you discover your family is surprisingly more toxic than your new drinking habit), start a fetish for some weird clothing item, pick up a slightly masochistic sport that involves tonnes of traveling to places that start interesting but unfruitful cocktail party conversations and so on... but in the end the only men chasing your skirt are OM types, too old, too single and oddly likely not too sure which team they prefer...

"My uterus is aging despite what I do to its encasing vessel - no amount of Botox, anti-aging cream/soap, running, SPF Vampire, vitamins, yoga, and hair colour will prevent it."

It seems I developed a uterus theme in the spring...

"Ack my uterus has taken over, it's more then just talking at me, it's yelling and starting a war, a revolt, a coup. That's it it's start a coup over my brain, my heart and my freaking common sense. I see a baby, and the only thing I can concentrate on is BABY, OOOOOOO BABY, OOOOOOOO, SO CUTE, BABY!!! I WANT A BABY!!! All my precious hormones are pumping through/screaming at my brain and insisting they get one. I have officially banned myself from children. Yes Ms. J I am the one who more often then not swears that they are evil, originating from the same place as pantyhose runs and spilled food on a first date, lipstick on your teeth and all that. Evil."

"Personally for me a man who can't initiate is destined to be skinned alive not only on this blog but also by me. Maybe I am jaded, just too many man children running around - you have to test them with a little flame or hook to see what they're made of, or maybe it's like X says. Relationships are a dance, an equal give and take partnership, if it's lopsided you fall and someone get's smooshed/crushed in the process. In the end your weakness will find their way to the bottom side of my soft gray BCBG stiletto pumps if you can't man up."

And last but not least a comment in regards to this post by TOITB:

"We are insane - I think you know that and well the men I have come to know personally definitely push the stupid category. In the end it is about finding someone you think is a tolerable amount of insane and I need to find someone that doesn't make me want to self lobotomize myself with a plastic knife. So romantic isn't it?"

7 comments:

  1. The week after turning 35 yrs old. Mu Uterus woke up. Loud, angry, screaming at me to give it want it wanted.

    Like you, I did what all good single girls do and you develop a habit of abusing your liver.

    I was sent back in time to hearing my sisters and older co-workers as I was growing up talking about how the clock was ticking loud. I never understood. I did that week. I swear people standing beside me could hear my uterus demanding a baby!

    I"ve never been so happy to be part of a species that can choose not to reprocreate.

    That same week, things starting happening to me. I swore it was cos my body wanted it, it was screwing with my sense of smell and taste. I could no longer stand the smell of coffee and eggs. Seriously, it was to the point I threw out a pan cos I couldn't bare to touch it cos it had eggs in it.

    Now suspisious, I took a pregnancy test. I did end up pregnant that very month. No shit. No amount of protection was going to stop my body from getting what it wanted.

    I sat in the bathroom, looked at the test and freaked out. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO this isn't happening. It's just not possible. Got to the doctors the same day to confirm.

    It was a false-positive. Which means I was pregnant long enough for the hormones to start taking effect. Roughly 3-4 weeks pregnant. The false part is it terminated itself. I got my period very late the next month.

    Weird part was, when I found out I wasn't.
    I cried. WTF!? I was mad that I was in the first place and now that I'm not, I'm upset?

    That will just go to show you how primal the urge is and how far back it goes into our species to have babies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such a bizarre emotional urge. I want children at some point - but I've never been one of those women who from the time they understood where babies came from wanted one. I've known those women for whom the idea of carrying a child was part of their identity. If it doesn't happen I'm okay with it - sure I'll be sad but whatever.

    That uterus talking to me phase freaked me out - thankfully it passed or else things would be have been really weird. I get it now - I completely understand the whole clock ticking business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your finer moments! A great summary and introduction, thank you! I completely relate, especially to that damned uterus!! And I thought it was just me!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Natalie - glad you've stopped by to join the circus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi girls, Newbie here! I thought I had escaped the tick tocking as I had a baby 14 yrs ago.. guess what? My mind has blocked out all the 14 yrs of hard slog and now is demanding more, just one more baby, go onnnnnn, it wasnt that hard... damned mid thirties

    ReplyDelete
  6. I looks like there is something in the water - who cares about fluoride - whatever is switching on our uterus' needs to stop. Please for our sanity

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - Miss G, so glad you could join us!

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.