Friday, November 11, 2011

Damn You Celiac

It's one of those ask and ye shall sort of receive moments.  I was slaving away in the library last night, and I was trying to find out how to bail on the dinner plans I had agreed to since all I wanted to do was sleep.  But instead I hauled my ass and all my bags down to the local pub.  I being late got shoved on the end of the table - fair enough.  Well actually lucky me - a guy who is apparently in my program, also in his first year (could have fooled me), sat down next to me.  Well this is where I want to curse my inability to drink beer.  He offered to buy a pitcher for us to share (has a Tennessee accent - darn accents...).  I polietely as possible declined ordering my usual Cranberry and Vodka.   He seemingly dejected or unsure, moved along the table when the opportunity arose.

I'm not going to assume anything will come of it since we don't seem to cross paths at all during our classes.  But it makes me wonder - to my few readers out there, how to you negotiate food issues without coming across high maintenence or picky.  It might just be me feeling sensitive, but I don't like being signalled out for something I didn't chose.  When I was a vegan I had no problme with declaring it, but now I feel like it's one more label I'm schleping around with me that gives a guy an excuse not to like me.

In case you're wondering I don't even remember his name - nor does it seem that he has FB, so I can't even stalk him... don't judge I know you've done it too.

2 comments:

  1. I would have just explained that you're celiac and can't drink beer, but I'll have a vodka/cranbrry. No explaination, leaves him to think whatever he wants.

    Get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's annoying and can feel awkward. I would just go with "I'm Celiac" because it's more official sounding than "Oh, I can't eat that, sorry" or something like that. "Yeah, I'd love a drink, but I'm allergic to beer!" And then he can offer something else....

    I dunno ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.