Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wear and Tear

My room-mate and I were having a discussion about younger men this past weekend.  I have been trying to get my head around the idea of dating someone younger for two reasons.  One because I think someone completely sweet is interested in me.  I think he's nice and I because I think he's nice I might on the off chance that there could be something more consider a date.  If he asked - at this rate he is definitely moving at a snails pace.  And who knows maybe the idea of dating someone 4 years older is a little bit of an issue for him - aside from him being smaller than me in every way.  That issue aside - in a general sense I know there are some really good catches at school they're just all in the 4-8 years younger range.  If you're wondering why the gap - there are a lot of new straight from their undergraduate people and then there are the rest of us near or over thirty who have worked or done other degrees - I having done both.   At the end of the conversation, my room-mate and I agreed that the age isn't so much of an issue and the life experience.  I want a man with a little wear and tear in his life, especially on his heart and soul.  I think your twenties are the time you bash yourself around a little bit, you figure out first hand why you believe something, why you love and even more generally what you love.  And while I don't think there is anything wrong with young people getting married - they normally do the experiencing together or they're completely oblivious to it.  But as someone well beyond that, I am very aware of what my decade-ish difference in experience has provided me with.

So bottom line - as cute as that 22 year old is, as charming as he might be - I cannot in good conscience even consider it knowing in the back of my brain, I'll be thinking of how many miles I've put into life, when he's still in many ways still just figuring out the basics of momentum.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Oh yes the 22 year old is too too young, though he has such clear moments of maturity that I forget I am talking to a 22 year old. That always scares me. The specific guy in question - is older, not that much so, there is still a 4 year gap and right now, for me that's kind of huge, he's still going to be in his twenties for a bit, and well there are other things that I'm not sure about in regards to that age difference. In the end I find it weird how age is in many ways just a number, but in many other ways socially an indication that you may have put some time into thinking about life and where you're going. Not all of us ever do, or think deeply - but considering we're all in graduate school together, some thought has already happened.

      Delete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.