Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Note from Your Future Boss

I manage a small business currently - that all will be ending in about a month or so, however, before we get to the joy of freedom I get to go through the hell of year end, hiring and training both my replacement and another staff person.  I posted an advertisement which stated that ALL resumes are to be received by FAX with a handwritten cover-letter.

Before I continue I must *sigh*, now can I reiterate that you will not be considered for a job in my office if you cannot follow instructions.  I already have one employee who refuses to do so, I (and my replacement CW) do not need another.

So that being said, you're already in the trash pile when you email me. You're even further into that pile if that is even possible when you have typographic errors, colloquial statements and emoticons in your non-handwritten cover letter.  I am sorry to sound all serious and dower but I am not your "BFF," I am your semi-future boss (I'm still doing the hiring at this stage regardless of who is actually in management after).  I absolutely refuse to accept a resume from someone who has yet to grasp the concept of a first impression.  It makes my blood boil that there is an inability to work for  job.  Yes dear Gen Yer's you need to put out effort for an interview.

I've got to go purge the 10 emails in my inbox right now and maybe drink a little.  For those in management what are your biggest pet peeves about the hiring process?

9 comments:

  1. Mispronounciation of words. I live in SC and used to be a Dist Mgr for a portrait studio. I almost didn't hire one of my BEST employees simply because she said "CHER'UNS" instead of children.

    That and icky teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why the hand written cover letters?

    Good luck finding a replacement. :)

    Biggest pet peeves on resumes:
    *Bad spelling. I understand if english is not your first language, that's somewhat excusible.

    *People who use abbrivations to save space without explaination. such as schools or computer programs.
    EG: New Westminster Senior Secondary....
    My resume would never say NWSS.

    *Those who cold call, and refuse to accept the contact infor you gave them. Insisting that they are put through to the president of the company to discuss their resume and/or employment opprotunities. **Clearly these people have not much work experience. Cos unless you're going to be working directly for the president of said bargle company as his executive senior assistant, that person has very little to do with the hiring process within the rest of the company.

    *I've always prided myself in contacting all applicants to advise if they've been hired or not. Those that beg me or TELL me it's unfair they weren't given a chance etc. I do not keep their resumes on file incase of future openings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handwritten is necessary because so much of our office work is still handwritten. I need to know that they do not have chicken scratch for handwriting/printing because that will not fly here, plain and simple.

    I completely agree with the abbreviations issue and the spelling mistakes. The spelling especially because it says to me you're careless, that you didn't take the time to spell check and reread your work. It's the physical equivalent of showing up to an interview with your shirt buttoned improperly or your fly down. Slow down, check the work and give the best impression possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fair enough. That's a good reason then.

    I believe Monster.ca even states to never write hand written unless specifically asked. And if asked, do it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand it when people can't follow directions. Almost anything else you can train, but if someone can't listen, you can't teach them anything.

    I pull my hair out on a day to day basis when I lay out clear written directions to people as a reference of step by step what they need to do and they still manage to find a way to F it up...it boggles my mind.

    The field that I work in, and thus some of the people who try to work here, doesn't make it any better...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, if I was applying for a job that said Fax in your resume with a hand written cover letter, why would I do anything but that?

    *shakes cane at sky* Young folks these days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankfully the emails have died down but we just had a walk in try to drop her resume off. Kudos for being proactive, but you didn't follow instructions and you just handed your resume over to the first person you saw. When asked where she saw the job she replied her friend told her. Well honey, your friend just guarenteed your resume access to the shred bin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Kas - hygiene is really important and mispronunciations are fine in some respects, obviously to-mah-toe vs. ta-may-toe isn't going to be a deal breaker, but yes I agree with you on your case

    ReplyDelete
  9. When people have clearly just cut and paste a letter from another job application and so refer to the wrong job title throughout the letter because they forgot to take it out. Oh, or worse put the job in but spell it incorrectly Manger - instead of Manager

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.