Thursday, May 12, 2011

I'm A Lit Geek

I get it.  I think most people who spend an extended conversation with me get it, really quickly, for some.  I have opinions - some of which hurt the hearts of the ones I love - poor X (I didn't like the book he bought for me as a gift and yes I could have lied but BSing my boyfriend to the extent I would have needed to is even more cold and damaging to me)... onwards.  At dinner last night Ms J's man asked what I am going to graduate school for beyond seminary... and then the thesis comes out along with discussions on everything else literature related.

In all this graduate school talk there is always the question, so what are you going to do with THAT.  Yes a MA is still a THAT degree.  Well dears, I do not hope to teach high school students. I would like to teach college students who understand the glorious importance of Beowulf and well the whole canon and how it shaped all the layers of development and experimentation.  But here is the issue I am realizing, those students don't exist.  They used to, but they don't now.  The education system is more or less abysmal, so high school teaching here I might be coming in an attempt to give our university professors something to work with.
Here is the reason for this change of mind:


I will say do not drink coffee and read this, please for the sake of your gorgeous laptop.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously hope it wasn't college students that wrote those answers. Tho, I wouldn't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's probably a mix of both - some of the subjects make me think it's more advanced then grade 8 English but who knows.

    ReplyDelete

Your opinion is always desired... so speak up.